Making a Prefelt
– Make your own prefelt wool for wet felting –
with Marie Spaulding
What is a “Prefelt”?
- Prefelt is partially felted wool. The term “prefelt” may refer to prefelt wool batts, sheets or prefelt fabric and is created to make the layout of felting projects easier and faster. It is more traditionally used in wet felting projects, but can certainly be used in needle felting as well.
- Prefelt can be cut into shapes and used as inlays in your surface design.
- Prefelts also provide a quick way to create a base layer for felting projects.
- Most commercial prefelts are created by lightly needle punching wool and other fibers such as silk on a machine to compact and slightly interlock the fibers causing them to be “partially” felted.
- You can make your own prefelts as well, and they do not have to be only wool! You can include silk fibers and fabrics to make nuno prefelts, and even add other surface design elements.
- Prefelt is not “felt” yet because it is not fully “felted” and does not have the integrity of felt. As a result, it is best to felt it completely whether through further wet felting or needle felting.
About this Course
Skills Focus: Making your own prefelt
Video Lessons: Videos are divided in to easy to digest & easy to reference segments
Difficulty Level: Beginner
Helpful Experience to Have: Basic Wet Felting
Fashion yourself a unique prefelt that you can incorporate into your future felting projects!
Skills you will Learn
- Create a prefelt from Merino Top wool
- Incorporate silk fabric, bamboo top, and silk embellishment fibers into the prefelt
- Integrate manufactured prefelts with your own for a unique look
- Wet felting and rolling to create a prefelt that you can later use in wet felting of needle felting projects
Included in this course:
- 24/7, 365 Instant access to the course streamed directly to your computer, tablet or phone
- High quality video instruction divided into short, digestible lessons
- Learn at your own pace and refer back to lessons at any time
- Complete materials list with links to recommended supplies
Meet the Instructor:
Learn to felt with Marie Spaulding as she teaches felting and needle felting tutorials from the heart. She is the founder and head fairy at Living Felt. Felting art work, home decor, fun keepsakes, thoughtful gifts, treasures and wearables with you is one of Marie’s greatest pleasures. She makes felting and needle felting friendlier than ever before. Since launching Living Felt in 2004, she has sparked enthusiasm for felting across the globe and inspired thousands of new friends to give felting a go in their crafting and artistic expression.
Living Felt provides free quick and easy needle felting, wet felting and nuno felting tutorials because we love to help you felt cool things from wool. We offer these free online felting classes to teach and inspire everyone—even the beginner. Wool is used in most of our projects, and we have lots of tips and tricks to make felting fun and simple.
To make felting and needle felting easier than ever before, we offer felting kits and supply lists, plus you can call us with any of your felting questions – we are happy to help! The wool fibers we share will make your felting projects easy and fun! We hope you enjoy our wet felting, needle felting and nuno felting tutorials. Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a single one!