– Felt a Skyward View that Captures Depth and Perspective –
with Laura Ricks
Getting Started: Info & Resources
Needle Felt the Background
Needle Felt the Tree Canopy
Needle Felt Dimensional Trees
Get Your Certificate!
About this Course
Skills Focus: Felting a perspective image using both needle felting and wet felting techniques. Simple mounting for a ready to hang display.
Video Lessons: Videos are divided in to easy to digest & easy to reference segments
Difficulty Level: Beginner / Intermediate
Helpful Experience to Have: Intro to 2D needle felting, basic wet felting
Course Length: This course is equivalent to a 1.5-day in person workshop
Create the illusion of depth and perspective looking up through the treetops and into the sky beyond.
Skills you will Learn:
- How to felt an image using a reference photo
- How to use light needle felting prior to wet felting to avoid fiber shift
- How to easily blend fiber colors by hand
- How to create smooth and even color transitions in a sky, leaves, and trees
- How to create depth and perspective, creating the look of viewing the treetops from below
- Choosing fibers that work well for the sky, leaves, tree trunks and branches
- How to easily and effectively wet felt with a palm washboard to prevent buckling and to gain control of the felting process.(*palm washboard is optional, but Laura’s preferred method for felting her pieces)
- How to add detail and finishing touches after wet felting to sharpen lines and enhance details.
* Laura shares her simple trick for guiding perspective and vanishing points in felting
Included in this course
- 24/7, 365 Instant access to the course streamed directly to your computer, tablet or phone
- High quality video instruction divided into short, digestible lessons
- Learn at your own pace and refer back to lessons at any time
- Complete materials list with links to recommended supplies
Join Free and start taking classes!
Membership in the school is free!
- Enroll (in free membership)
- Visit your Dashboard for quick links
- Enroll in the class of your choice!
Meet the Instructor:
Laura Ricks developed a love for art at an early age, spending much of her youth sketching and drawing. While attending college, her creative passions were put on hold to explore a degree in Biology, eventually leading to a career in Medical Technology. However, after 15 years in the lab, she realized all of her time behind the microscope wasn’t allowing her a creative outlet and she struggled to find time at home to create art pieces, mainly working with fibers. When she stumbled upon a set of felted wool ornaments, she was instantly drawn to their soft feel and rich colors and began exploring the techniques of making felt, the oldest known textile. She quickly fell in love with the medium and has been discovering beautiful ways to entangle and bind vibrant wool fibers into textiles since 2017.
Currently Laura lives in Lafayette, Indiana with her husband and children and is dedicated to felting full time. She loves creating landscapes and nature inspired wet felted wall art as well as small needle felted objects. She also enjoys experimenting with new ways to incorporate yarns, silks and other fibers into her felting to create texture and dimension in her work. She has exhibited her work at the Mid-States Craft Exhibition, many juried art fairs and is a two-time recipient of the People’s Choice Award at Art on the Wabash.